Live Q&A on Caring for People with Alzheimer's
Thank you for joining us for our live Q&A on caring for loved ones with Alzheimer's with Teresa Lore of Home Aides of Central New York. Ms. Lore will begin answering your questions at about noon but you may begin submitting them now. To submit a question, enter your name and your question in the boxes at the bottom of this Q&A window and click "Send."

Please note: Your questions will not publish immediately. We will post questions and their responses together to keep the Q&A in a readable order. Depending on the volume of questions, we may not be able to answer them all.
Monday March 11, 2013 11:47
[Comment From ChrisChris: ] 
Are there any respite programs in Syracuse for caregivers and how do they work?
Monday March 11, 2013 12:01 Chris
Terry Lore: 
There are several respite programs in Syracuse, The Dept of Aging & Youth has several options available, as well one through Home Aides of Central New York. They all have specific eligibility requirements and work a little differently. For specific information on each program contact Home Aides at 476-4295 or Dept of Aging & Youth at 435-2362.
Monday March 11, 2013 12:05 Terry Lore
[Comment From LindaLinda: ] 
Is there any good way to reduce sundowning?
Monday March 11, 2013 12:05 Linda
Terry Lore: 
A few suggestions are: establish a predictable routine, give calming activities to do, prevent overstimulation to reduce fatigue, modify the environment and provide a well lit space to use during the evening hours. Sundowning is one of the behaviors that is addressed in the REACH program. Call Home Aides to learn more.
Monday March 11, 2013 12:12 Terry Lore
[Comment From TeriTeri: ] 
I am the oldest child and my Father has Dementia.My mother is the primary caregiver and I am her support. They live in Jefferson county. Is this program something I could enroll in? I don't think there is a program like this in Jefferson county.
Monday March 11, 2013 12:13 Teri
Terry Lore: 
Unfortunately, this program is not available in Jefferson county. I would recommend calling your county office for aging to see what programs area available in your area.
Monday March 11, 2013 12:14 Terry Lore
[Comment From MaggieMaggie: ] 
A dear friend has early onset dementia and parkinsons' disease, he is 64 and his wife is taking care of him herself. How can I help her, get more help and some time for herself, so she can take care of her own health issues. She is extremely reluctant to outside help.
Monday March 11, 2013 12:15 Maggie
Terry Lore: 
Sometimes asking for help is the hardest part for caregivers. I would suggest starting with something small such as hiring an agency to provide an aide for a couple of hours while the caregiver is in the home. This allows both of them to get used to having a person in the home. Also, ask the agency what their screening and training procedures are.
Monday March 11, 2013 12:20 Terry Lore
[Comment From MaryMary: ] 
If you hire an aide to help take care of your loved one at home, will Medicare or Medicaid pay for it?
Monday March 11, 2013 12:20 Mary
Terry Lore: 
For Medicare to cover aide service, there has to be a skilled need and it's generally for a limited amount of time, for example, a person needs nursing visits due to a recent change in their medical status. For Medicaid, it depends on the needs of the individual. Coverage of these services is done on a case-by-case basis. I would advise calling an agency to discuss your particular situation.
Monday March 11, 2013 12:24 Terry Lore
[Comment From JayJay: ] 
What is the best way to deal with an Alzheimer's patient who wanders?
Monday March 11, 2013 12:26 Jay
Terry Lore: 
Here a few suggestions to deal with wandering: let your neighbors know the situation, enroll in the Alzheimer's Association Safe Return program, make your home safe for wandering such as, putting bells on the door or using child safe doorknob covers, make doors difficult to see, such putting a curtain over the door, watch for wandering patterns, or distract them from wandering by getting them interested in another activity. I would suggest contacting the Alzheimer's Association at 472-4201 and The Onondaga County Sheriff's Office "Project Lifesaver" at 435-3044.
Monday March 11, 2013 12:34 Terry Lore
[Comment From GloriaGloria: ] 
My mother has Alzheimer's and lives with me. Caring for her is becoming overwhelming. I never wanted to put her in a nursing home. At what point should a caregiver consider the nursing home option?
Monday March 11, 2013 12:35 Gloria
Terry Lore: 
This is a very difficult and personal decision. There are many factors to consider: what other resources have you tried such as caregiver respite, home health care; the physical needs of your mother and your ability to manage her most challenging behaviors. I would suggest reaching out to your physician, a home care agency, the office for aging or Alzheimer's Association, etc. to help.
Monday March 11, 2013 12:44 Terry Lore
[Comment From LindaLinda: ] 
My father 85 cares for my mother who is 81 and has Alzheimers. How do we convince him that he needs to accept respite care? My mother resists it and he thinks that he can do it all at times. At other times he is very overwelmed.
Monday March 11, 2013 12:47 Linda
Terry Lore: 
Sometimes having someone from outside the family talk to your father can be helpful, such as a family physician or a home care nurse. This can help open up the lines of communication.
Monday March 11, 2013 12:51 Terry Lore
[Comment From GreggGregg: ] 
What are the signs that caring for the loved one at home has become to much and there needs to be some sort of intervention.
Monday March 11, 2013 12:52 Gregg
Terry Lore: 
This is a very individual decision based on the caregiver's stress level and their ability to meet the needs of the care recipient. Examples of burn-out can be, feeling overwhelmed and hopeless or missing time from work or other activities. The REACH program offers information that will assist you to better manage your daily stress and health.
Monday March 11, 2013 1:03 Terry Lore
[Comment From KateKate: ] 
How do you find out which nursing homes provide care for patients with dementia or do most nursing homes provide are because so many are afflicted with the disease these days? And is there a waiting list for nursing homes in Onondaga county?
Monday March 11, 2013 1:03 Kate
Terry Lore: 
I would suggest contacting individual facilities to determine if they can take patients with dementia and if there is a waiting list.
Monday March 11, 2013 1:05 Terry Lore
Terry Lore: 
Thank you to everyone that submitted questions. Please feel free to contact me at Home Aides of Central New York, at 476-4295, for further questions about the REACH program. For further information about all of services please go to:
Monday March 11, 2013 1:08 Terry Lore
Thank you for all your questions, and our thanks to Terry Lore for taking the time to answer them today.
Monday March 11, 2013 1:08
Powered by google translate
English  English
简体中文  简体中文
Dansk  Dansk
Deutsch  Deutsch
Español  Español
Français  Français
Italiano  Italiano
日本語  日本語
日本語  한국어
Nederlands  Nederlands
Norsk  Norsk
Português  Português
Русский  Русский
Svenska  Svenska